See more Fall 2019 internship opportunities with the Deseret News at
The Deseret News opinion team is continuously looking for talented seasonal student interns to assist in editing opinion content, writing op-eds and publishing opinion stories online.
We are especially interested in interns who have a background in editing. We prefer interns who have previously published opinion content or are familiar with editorial writing.
Internships are paid and are approximately three to four months (one semester) in duration. Internships for fall semester typically start in September and end in December.
Interns will work with their supervisor to determine exact starting and ending dates, as well as weekly work schedules. If time off during the semester is needed, that must be coordinated in advance with the supervisor.
- Screen and edit guest commentaries and letters to the editor.
- Assist in scheduling opinion content for online publishing throughout the day.
- Work with editors to contribute content for the Deseret News National Edition.
- Write and publish thoughtful and engaging opinion pieces as circumstances allow.
- Advanced editing and writing abilities.
- A healthy grasp of local and national current events.
- Familiarity with AP style (a willingness to learn will also suffice).
- Ability to meet daily deadlines.
Along with your application, please include the following:
- A resume
- A cover letter
- A sample of opinion writing
Pay: Deseret News internships pay $10.00 per hour.