This position works on a variety of projects including interviews with various faculty, staff, students, and alumni to write news articles for online and yearly magazine publication; writes content for the Department of Geological Sciences website; and writes posts for the department social media pages, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn; write for the monthly student newsletter
This position requires flexibility and an eagerness to learn new skills and a commitment to meet deadlines. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with other team members to deliver create regular articles.
This position will be the approving set of eyes for all written content. They will work as a member of the Geology PR team to be sure that correct grammar and punctuation are used, as well as making sure we have a unified voice. They should be able to work with others and offer constructive feedback.
Responsibilities and Skills:
- Create content for website pages, email campaigns, and brochures
- Write scripts for videos
- Rewrite text to make it easier to understand and more engaging for readers
- Work with brand management to help establish a written voice and personality for newsletters, social media, and other written marketing and social content
- Finding relevant stories that fit the tone of a daily talk show focusing on current events, health, entertainment and technology
- Finding guests to fit story pitches and booking them for telephone or in-person interviews.
- Using excellent writing skills to prepare a setup for the interview that includes researching the topic and the guest.
- Thanking guests after interview is complete.
- Keeping upcoming story slots booked in weeks ahead and keeping within deadlines.
- Occasional other duties may be assigned
- Good interpersonal skill
- Computer skills
- A self-starter who can meet deadlines
- An ability to make good use of available time
- Studying journalism, communications, English, etc.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to give constructive feedback
- Conceptual creative abilities
- Ability to create stories and write in compelling voice
Apply online (job posted at yjobs.byu.edu. Job ID 103676)
Attach student spotlight of yourself. A major role of this position is to interview Geology students and write up a weekly student spotlight for our Instagram and Facebook accounts.
If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org