*Some on-campus jobs qualify for internship credit. Contact the internship coordinator (email@example.com) to see about registering for credit BEFORE beginning a work/internship experience.
JOB ID: 98473 (find job posting at https://yjobs.byu.edu/)
Start date: 07/13/2021 (OR beginning of Fall semester)
Hourly Wage: $12.00 depending on experience
The College of Humanities Digital Media and Communications (DMaC) is seeking a writer/editor responsible for creating and editing professional-quality media on behalf of the dean’s office and other college departments. Individuals on our team participate in all aspects of the strategy, planning, and development of DMaC messaging. Currently, we have two openings for this position.
The ideal candidate will write short- and long-form stories, news reports, and social media posts, and will provide editorial feedback to other team members. The candidate will also collaborate with photographers, designers, and social media staff.
Students on our team gain real-life experience producing the Humanities alumni magazine. This 28-page semiannual professional publication has a circulation of 30,000 hardcopy and 20,000 electronic copies per issue. Students will author and edit articles for the magazine and gain valuable, bylined articles to enhance their portfolio. Students will also gain experience working with presses and a variety of vendors.
Additionally, our program functions as an internship for students desiring Internship credit.
Some of the other experience students will gain working in DMaC:
- Learn how an effective communications team manages content strategy and development for multi-platforms
- Complete original writing and editing projects, including long-form stories, news stories, newsletters, brochures, and advertising copy
- Interview faculty, students, and alumni to publicize their latest research, achievements, events, and programs
- Attend guest lectures and other college events, and write about them for a variety of print and digital channels
- Create and refresh content on the college website
- Reposition content and optimize for digital media channels to maximize readership and/or attendance at live events
- Analyze data, and create innovative recommendations for the DMaC’s ongoing publications calendar and strategy
- Superior writing and communication skills
- Highly creative and adaptable in learning new communication styles and voice
- Editing & Publishing or Journalism major or minor, or ability to demonstrate excellent creative writing and editorial skills
- Ability to attend events independently and manage projects with little supervision
- Willingness to receiving feedback in a mentored, experiential learning environment
- Maturity: ability to take ownership of work, be dependable, and manage priorities
- Punctuality and ability to meet deadlines
- Professionalism: ability to interface and work with deans, directors, and department chairs
- Ability to work consistent hours (20 to 40 spring/summer; 20 fall/winter) and attend weekly staff meetings
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience interviewing individuals and crafting stories for multiple platforms
Please e-mail the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- Two 250–500-word creative works
- One editing sample highlighting substantive editing skills
- One editing sample highlighting proofreading skills
Starting Pay: $12.00 Depending on Experience