Our structured summer internship program provides firsthand experience working at a museum. It’s a great introduction to museum work or an opportunity to expand on previous experience.
The 2021 summer internship program will be entirely virtual and will not require relocation to Washington, DC.
Each year, positions are available in areas such as aviation or space history, planetary science, exhibits, communications, museum management, and education. Students from all fields of study are encouraged to apply.
During the 10-week program, each intern is assigned a supervisor and works on an internship project and other tasks. In addition to their projects, interns also meet virtually as a group for presentations, professional development opportunities, enrichment activities, and tours.
Length: 10 weeks, full-time
2021 Dates: June 7 to August 13
2021 Application Dates: January 18 to February 26, 2021
Questions? Email: StaplesAn@si.edu
This year we will be offering the following internships:
- Center for Earth and Planetary Studies: Runoff Production on Early Mars
- Center for Earth and Planetary Studies: Searching for Wind-Formed Features on Mars
- Communications: Department Support
- Communications: Digital Experience
- Education: Development and Production of Videos
- Education: Public Programs
- Education: Soar Together @ Air and Space (Family Programs)
- Education: Video Broadcast Systems
- Education: Virtual Astronomy
- Exhibits: Development of Videos and Computer Interactives for New Exhibitions
- Exhibits: Visitor Testing
- Reconstructing the Histories of Ocean Worlds
- Sally’s Legacy (Enaging Girls and Women in STEM)
- Space History: Hawaiian Astronomy and the Fight for Maunakea Oral history
- Space History: Latino and Afrofuturism
- Visitor Services
Applications are accepted through February 26. Interns will be notified of the status of their application by April.
The National Air and Space Museum Summer Internship Program application must be submitted via the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA). Complete applications must include:
- A statement of purpose (500-1,000 words) indicating the type of internship you are interested in and how an internship will contribute to your education and career goals
- Unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
If you have questions about filling out the application, please see our SOLAA tips.