The News Division of the Deseret News is looking for talented seasonal student intern reporters. The internships offer students a distinctive journalism experience unlike any other. The News Division is a unique newsroom where TV, radio, print and web reporters work together in an environment that provides news content for five different media platforms.
These full-time internships for college students focus on daily Utah news stories, projects and features for Deseret News, DeseretNews.com and KSL.com with occasional opportunities available for broadcast reporting for those interested. We offer a legislative internship (beginning in January) which allows the intern to cover meetings and write issue-related stories from the 45-day session of the Utah Legislature from the state Capitol working with team of legislative reporters. The intern would also write other stories before and after the session in the integrated newsroom. The four-month (the length of a school semester) internship is a full-time paid position.
Internships typically start for winter/spring semester in January and end in April. (All in conjunction with school semesters). Interns will work with their supervising editors to determine exact starting and ending dates, and weekly work schedules. If time off during the semester is needed, that must be coordinated well in advance with the supervising editor.
In order to be considered for one of these internships, you must include with your application:
1) a cover letter,
2) a resume, and
3) published news writing samples (cannot be class papers). You may attach as many documents as you’d like to the online application.
Students must have a car and are reimbursed for mileage.
The internships provide invaluable experience for journalism and communications students.
- Writing that is engaging, thoughtful, informative and rigorous
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter
- Training in journalism or other writing experience involving critical/analytical thinking
- Knowledge of current events
- Ability to take regular feedback and work with editors in a professional environment
- Ability to write on deadline and take assignments on short notice
- Commitment to Deseret Media Companies mission and values: http://deseretmanagement.com/mission-statement/