- $9.00 per hour
Writer Therapy is a growing editing services company with a unique approach to story analysis. We work with traditional authors, indie authors, and publishing houses to help create books of the highest quality. The book market is growing more competitive every day, and our job is to help authors and publishing houses take their books to the next level. Our clients include New York Times Bestselling authors, Hollywood actors, and more.
At Writer Therapy, we have been trained in the Farmer System of Narrative Analysis (FSNA)—also known as The Story Cone Method—which is a ground-breaking system of analysis that helps “code” out a story. For those familiar with The Hero’s Journey (a pattern of narrative identified by scholar Joseph Campbell), FSNA gives empirical evidence as to why that pattern resonates with so many audiences and readers—and goes further to identify all the other patterns for the different kinds and types of story available. FSNA is based on over 35 years of empirical research, builds off established literary theory, and has years of refinement in college classrooms, conference workshops, and real-world applications. Interns will walk away with a working knowledge of this system that will make them highly competitive in the work environment.
- proofreading (editing for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style)
- copy edit preparation
- compile or update company lists, spreadsheets and word documents
- research to create content for internal use
- Reader Reports and general reading assignments
- office tasks assigned by staff or management, including scanning, printing, and photocopying
- create surveys for our website
- Attention to detail and excellent organization skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once with the ability to prioritize
- Good at time management
- Knowledgeable in the world of publishing, books, and editing
- A working knowledge of social media
- Professional and courteous in all interactions
- Ability to work efficiently and quickly with a collaborative approach
- A love of story (books, movies, etc.) and tolerance for stories outside their personal preferences
- Well-read with the ability to offer thoughtful critical analysis of material
- Strong oral and written communication
- Familiarity or expertise with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel are needed
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro is a bonus
Internships are about two semesters long. The business is located in Provo, less than 15 minutes from BYU and UVU. The schedule can be flexible anytime between the hours of 9 AM – 5 PM Monday through Friday, with anywhere from 10-20 hours needed weekly, and will be agreed upon at the start of the internship. A 3-day required training is necessary at the start of the internship and can be done online. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please submit 2-5 writing samples along with your resume
Once trained, there will be work you can do remotely. All employees will wear masks when together.