The News Division of the Deseret News is looking for a talented seasonal student intern reporter for the 2020 fall semester. This internship offers students a distinctive journalism experience unlike any other. The News Division is a unique newsroom where TV, radio, print and online reporters work together in an environment that provides news content for five different media platforms. This full-time internship for college students focuses on daily Utah news stories, projects and features for Deseret News, Deseret.com and KSL.com with occasional opportunities available for broadcast reporting for those interested. The four-month internship is a full-time paid position.
Internships for fall semester typically start in August or September and end in December. (All in conjunction with school semesters). Interns will work with their supervising editors to determine exact starting and ending dates, and weekly work schedules. If time off during the semester is needed, that must be coordinated well in advance with the supervising editor.
In order to be considered for this internship, you must include with your application:
- A cover letter
- A resume
- Examples of published news writing samples (cannot be class papers). You may attach as many documents as you’d like to the online application. (Documents should be uploaded in the same section of the online application as your resume and cover letter.)
Students must have a car and are reimbursed for mileage. The internship provides invaluable experience for journalism and communications students.
- Writing that is engaging, thoughtful, informative and rigorous
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter
- Training in journalism or other writing experience involving critical/analytical thinking
- Knowledge of current events
- Ability to take regular feedback and work with editors in a professional environment
- Ability to write on deadline, following AP Style, and take assignments on short notice
- Commitment to Deseret Media Companies mission and values
Pay:Deseret News internships pay $10.00 per hour.
Check out other Deseret News Internships at