*Because of restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic, through August 2020, BYU policy requires that all internships be completed remotely. Students will need to work with internship providers to set up remote work. We do not yet know if this requirement will be extended for Fall 2020. Contact the English internship coordinator if you are looking at doing an internship this summer or fall or if you have other questions about the remote requirement. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Click on the job titles to learn more and to apply.
The Deseret News opinion team is continuously looking for talented seasonal student interns to assist in editing opinion content, pulling together timely opinion roundups and facilitating online publishing.
We are especially interested in interns who have a background in editing and are well acquainted with local and national current events. We prefer interns who have previously published opinion content or are familiar with editorial writing.
Internships are paid and are approximately three to four months (one semester) in duration. The fall internship typically starts in August or September and ends in December. Interns will work with their supervisor to determine exact starting and ending dates, as well as weekly work schedules. If time off during the semester is needed, that must be coordinated in advance with the supervisor.
- Screen and edit guest commentary and letters to the editor.
- Assist in scheduling opinion content for online publishing throughout the day.
- Work with editors to contribute content for the Deseret News National Edition.
- Identify trending opinion topics and produce timely roundups and link-offs.
- Advanced editing and writing abilities.
- A healthy understanding of current events.
- Familiarity with AP style (a willingness to learn will also suffice).
- Ability to meet daily deadlines.
The Deseret News (Salt Lake City, Utah), seeks a smart, passionate Media Events Promotion Intern to help us build our influence nation-wide. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to get experience as an event planner, organizer and promotion coordinator in a digital news company.
Deseret News internships are paid ($10/hour) and last approximately 3-4 months (one semester) in duration. This internship is part time (16-24 hours per week) and will start in October and end in December (though it may be possible to extend until April 2021). Interns will work with their supervisor to determine exact starting and ending dates, and weekly work schedules. If time off during the semester is needed, that must be coordinated well in advance with the supervisor.
This internship will challenge you to:
- Track and report weekly planning efforts for events
- Collect performance data from past events to help determine the best locations for events
- Work with Zkipster software to track, notify and RSVP attended guests to events
- Event preparation and logistics coordination
- Prepare signage, name tags, participant handouts, seating cards, etc.
- Coordinate food and beverage for event
- Communicate project progress, timelines, milestones, etc.
- Develop skills in digital news gathering
- Find and attract users who are engaged by our content
- Contribute to a team that is gaining national attention for digital innovation
You are the right fit if you have:
- Excellent writing skills
- Video editing experience
- A passion for news and online journalism
- An active social media presence
- An affinity for our mission and values of Deseret Management Companies http://www.deseretmanagement.com/our-mission/.