The Deseret News opinion team is continuously looking for talented seasonal student interns to assist in editing opinion content, pulling together timely opinion roundups and facilitating online publishing.
We are especially interested in interns who have a background in editing and are well acquainted with local and national current events. We prefer interns who have previously published opinion content or are familiar with editorial writing.
Internships are paid and are approximately three to four months (one semester) in duration. The spring/summer internship typically starts in May and ends in August. Interns will work with their supervisor to determine exact starting and ending dates, as well as weekly work schedules. If time off during the semester is needed, that must be coordinated in advance with the supervisor.
- Screen and edit guest commentary and letters to the editor.
- Assist in scheduling opinion content for online publishing throughout the day.
- Work with editors to contribute content for the Deseret News National Edition.
- Identify trending opinion topics and produce timely roundups and link-offs.
- Advanced editing and writing abilities.
- A healthy understanding of current events.
- Familiarity with AP style (a willingness to learn will also suffice).
- Ability to meet daily deadlines.
Along with your application, please include the following:
1) A resume
2) A cover letter
3) A sample of opinion writing
Pay: Deseret News internships pay $10.00 per hour.