Department PUBLIC SERVICES
Minimum Salary $13.00/Hr.
Post End Date 2/13/2020
Location US-UT-Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City Public Lands is looking for a social media and community outreach intern. This position will have the opportunity to create engaging content for Public Lands social media accounts as well as support a variety of other community outreach and engagement efforts. The intern will work closely with all Public Lands divisions, which include Parks, Urban Forestry, and Trails and Natural Lands. This position is a great opportunity for a communications or marketing student who also has interest in parks, natural resources, environmental science, or recreation.
This job is designed to provide students with paid professional experience to further their education and training and is academically oriented for the student’s benefit. To qualify, students must be enrolled in an accredited school program related to communications, marketing, or other area of study relevant to the position. Positions will terminate upon completion of the internship period. Incumbents may deal with confidential information, which is expected to be maintained as confidential and shared only on a need-to-know basis with city employees and elsewhere when authorized by the intern’s city supervisor.
- TYPICAL DUTIES:
- Creates and publishes content to be used on Public Lands social media accounts, flyers, posters, community engagement surveys, and presentations.
- Writes or drafts reports, articles or related material based on research, investigation or analysis of Public Lands projects.
- Collects data and reviews both primary and secondary research materials, determines accuracy and validity of sources and appropriateness for use.
- Performs research activities by utilizing computer software to obtain and manipulate data.
- Attends community outreach events to engage with Salt Lake City residents about Public Lands projects.
- Attends meetings with stakeholders relevant to Public Lands projects and initiatives.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Complies with city and department policies and procedures.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university, though summer internships may not require concurrent enrollment if student is in good standing with the educational institution.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must have good organizational and analytical skills.
- Must have good computer skills.