*This is an on-campus student job that could qualify for internship credit. Contact the English Internship Coordinator for credit requirements and information.
Job ID: 86272
Job title: Writer
Hours: 20 hours a week
Pay rate: Depends on experience
Desired Start Date: Between Dec 13, 2019 and Jan 6, 2020
Part-time student writer for the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Aid the Assistant Dean over external relations with writing and editing articles and other college communications. The writer will work on releases and features for BYU Arts and the six academic units within the college (Art, Communications, Dance, Design, Music, Theatre & Media Arts). Articles will focus on events and student and faculty experiences. These articles are posted on the college and BYU Arts websites. Recent examples can be found on cfac.byu.edu and arts.byu.edu. This position is ideal for journalism, PR or editing majors.
- Write news releases and features for the college and school/department websites.
- Attend and report on college-sponsored events.
- Interview college faculty, students and alumni.
- Verify accuracy of facts, dates and statistics.
- Work with supervisor on editing and preparing articles for publication.
- Upload articles and images onto the college and school/department websites.
- Attend and participate in weekly meetings.
- Collaborate on strategic projects.
- Assist with other promotional items and college events as needed.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new challenges.
- Strong writing, editing and communicating skills.
- Aptitude for learning new things and self-directing.
- College experience in public relations, journalism or a related field is preferred.
- Experience with WordPress, Microsoft Outlook and AP style preferred.
- Experience in the arts is a plus.
Include a cover letter, résumé and three writing samples (at least two of the samples should be written in a journalistic style) with your application.
APPLY THROUGH STUDENT EMPLOYMENT