*This is an on-campus student job that could qualify for internship credit. Contact the English Internship Coordinator for credit requirements and information.
Job ID: 86706
Position summary: As the Social Media & News Writer for the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering, you will anxiously uncover news and “happenings” within the College to create written content for the College and its associated departments’ social media channels and websites. In this position, you will be part of a communications team reporting to the Communications Manager.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Writing in a variety of mediums including web, social media, presentations, digital displays, newsletters, etc.
- Creating eye-catching and relevant news stories for the College website
- Helping maintain website content including articles, College information, and events
- Researching and interviewing
- Gathering visual content or working with design team to supplement written material
- Constantly brainstorming and “sniffing out” new ideas
- Coordinating with social media manager to promote news stories
- Staying up-to-date with industry trends and College news
- Refining presentations and other written materials where needed
Desired skills and experience:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of (and firm belief in) the inverted pyramid
- Understanding of AP and Chicago styles
- Willingness to come up with own ideas instead of waiting for assignment
- Experience managing web content in platforms like WordPress
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner
- Willingness to incorporate others’ ideas and take feedback with grace
- Experience running social media accounts
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Send resume and portfolio of relevant work* to email@example.com. Current BYU students only.
*Samples in any format – press release, news story, social media post, advertising copy, long-form, etc. – are welcome. Most interested in samples featuring attention-grabbing headlines and strong leads.