The Deseret News is continuously looking for talented seasonal student intern writers and copy editors for the Church News (an official publication of the LDS Church), which provides news, and information for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The pay rate is $10 an hour, and interns are expected to work up to 40 hours/week.
- Internships typically start for winter/spring semester in January and end in April.
- Internships for summer semester typically start in April/May and end in August.
- Internships for fall semester typically start in September and end in December. (All in conjunction with school semesters).
A minimum of 12 weeks is expected. Interns will work with their supervising editors to determine exact starting and ending dates, and weekly work schedules. If time off during the semester is needed, that must be coordinated well in advance with the supervising editor.
- College sophomore or older
- B grade-point average or higher
- Complete an exercise that includes copy-editing test, current events quiz and writing exam. This exercise will be given at the time of the interview or emailed to you ahead of time.
- Have a car to travel to assignments, and a have a phone number where you can be contacted during the internship.
If hired, you must provide documentation to Human Resources that you are legally authorized to work in the United States.
To apply for an internship:
- Complete the online application
- Attach a resume AND cover letter
- Attach copies or links to published work to the online application. You may attach as many documents as you’d like. (Up to 5 MB) These might not be returned. Class papers will not be accepted.