Imagine Learning Technical Writing Internship
Imagine Learning headquarters
382 Park Cir Suite 100, Provo, UT 84604
January (from date of hire) through April (to the end of the semester)
20 hours/week, choosing between two shifts: 8 a.m.–12 p.m. or 1 p.m.–5 p.m.
Some flexibility to work out other arrangements, within the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday–Friday.
Compensation: $12 /hour
Company mission: We teach language, literacy, and mathematics to the children of the world, changing lives and opening doors of opportunity.
Imagine Learning creates engaging educational software to teach language, literacy, and mathematics to grades K–12. The Curriculum technical writing team operates at the heart of this effort, providing documentation, copyediting, and printed materials for efficacious content. Three interns hired for the Technical Writing internship will participate first-hand in preparing educational text for publication, developing documentation to support the production of learning games and online lessons, and creating offline lessons and materials using Adobe InDesign.
The ideal candidate will
- be in their senior year of a Bachelor’s program, working toward a degree in English, Linguistics, Spanish, or any field with a strong emphasis on language and communication.
- have excellent writing and editing skills, as demonstrated by coursework and/or applicable work experience.
- function independently in InDesign, within existing styles and templates and with direction/oversight. Asking good questions and collaborating with the lead writer on the project to improve existing styles and templates is encouraged.
- be a self-starter that proactively asks questions and seeks reasonable solutions to roadblocks.
- have technical aptitude and be excited to learn more about the production of software.
- be comfortable communicating with audio, art, instructional design, and development teams to glean information and produce supporting documentation.
- accept mentorship and regular feedback.
Please send a resume, one professional writing sample (500 words), one editing sample (Word document with track changes), and one sample of InDesign work (two-page PDF minimum) to the Technical Writing manager:
Both existing samples and those created specifically for this application are welcome. In place of providing an existing professional writing sample, the candidate may write 500 words with the following prompt:
You have been asked to assist the lead writer and the instructional designer on a batch of educational articles. You will perform the following tasks:
- Assist the lead writer in reviewing educational articles for grammar and accuracy.
- Assist the lead writer in creating multiple choice options for comprehension questions.
- Document art selections.
- Create audio narration scripts. In-house audio engineers will record live narrators.
- Format clean manuscripts in preparation for the uploading process.
- Upload educational articles to the learning management system.
- Assist the lead writer in creating offline materials in InDesign.
Identify the potential internal and external customers involved in this project. In 500 words, describe how you would determine the needs of each customer and your plan to address those needs.