Assist the Library Division of the Church History Department in cataloging oral history interviews and other archival records, with a focus on collections from Spanish-speaking areas. This is an exciting opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in archives. We are looking for a motivated, energetic, and detail-oriented individual to join our team!
This is a paid internship, which is anticipated to last one year (12 months). This is a part-time (approximately 28 hours per week) hourly, nonexempt position. The candidate must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from (within the last 12 months), an undergraduate- or graduate-degree program.
Intern will learn and be exposed to:
- Cataloging in MARC21 using Aleph library software
- Authority control
- Archive and manuscript processing
Intern will be responsible to fulfill the following duties:
- Create catalog records (using MARC21 and Aleph) for oral history interviews
- Edit oral history interview transcripts
- Assist in preparing oral histories for digital preservation
- Review cataloging work of others
Intern will work under the direction of the oral history cataloging coordinator.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Current pursuit of, or completion of, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in History, Library Science, Archival Administration, English, or other language degree, or related field
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent writing and editing skills
- Good communication skills and ability to thrive in a team environment
- Proficient Spanish language skills with the ability to effectively read, write and converse in Spanish
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
Preference will be given to candidates who also possess these additional qualities:
- Understanding of archival arrangement and description principles
- Experience conducting research and/or working in an archives, including arranging and describing archival collections
- Knowledge of the historiography and sources of LDS Church History