The Utah Jazz are looking to hire two communications assistants, each a full-time position that will run from September 4, 2018 until July 19, 2019. The position is an opportunity to gain firsthand experience in the professional sports public relations industry. Each communications assistant will interact daily with members of the media as well as various departments within the Jazz organization to assist with the overall public relations/media relations efforts of the team. The position involves a large workload and unusual work hours, but is also very rewarding. Below is a brief outline of some of the job responsibilities of the position:
- Assist Jazz PR Staff in all aspects of the team’s public/media relations efforts.
- Produce daily statistical reports and compile game notes. Copy all printed materials for Jazz game nights (game notes, rosters, stats, etc.).
- Compile and distribute daily media clips for Jazz management.
- Prepare credentials and visiting media packets for each home game.
- Set up media work areas on game days at Vivint Smart HomeArena.
- Monitor the media work room pre and postgame to ensure proper distribution of scores and stats.
- Assist with team publications (media guide, “Game Time” (game day program), postseason guide, preseason guide, game notes, etc.).
- Assist Jazz PR Staff with media requests at practice and shootaround.
- Help with the Salt Lake City Stars public relations efforts, the team’s NBA G League affiliate and Utah Jazz Gaming
- Assist with all Jazz media events (press conferences, media day, conference calls, draft workouts, etc.).
- Assist with creation of draft profiles in preparation for the 2019 NBA Draft.
- Help with the public relations efforts for the 2019 Utah Jazz Summer League.
- Handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- The position will run from September 4, 2018 thru July 19, 2019. Performance reviews will take place periodically and the Jazz reserve the right to terminate employment.
- Various hours, Monday – Friday, weekend work, nights and all Jazz preseason and regular season home games (plus Playoffs) during the 2018-19 NBA season.
- Please be aware that many games fall on weekends and several are played during traditional holiday seasons.
- College graduate with a degree in a related field (Journalism, Communications/Public Relations, English or Sports Administration).
- Must have at least one year experience in sports communications or public relations at either the professional or collegiate level to effectively perform duties listed above.
- Must have solid knowledge of the NBA, statistics and basketball terminology in order to effectively perform duties.
- Must have strong writing skills.
- Must be proficient with MS Word, Excel, internet and Outlook in order to effectively perform duties as listed above.
- Must be detail-oriented in order to effectively perform duties as listed above.
- Must be able to come to work promptly and regularly.
- Must be able to take direction and work well with others.
- There are two communications assistant openings available, each a full-time position that will run from September 4, 2018 until July 20, 2019.
- The position pays $10 an hour with overtime and a benefits package.
- Parking is provided. Meals are provided when working Jazz games.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment background and drug screening.
- The positions will remain open until filled.