Posting Dates: 12/08/2017 – 12/31/2017
Department: Church History Department
Assist the Global Acquisitions and Support Division of the Church History Department in the processing of newly acquired records at the Church History Library. This is an exciting and unique opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in library science, or history. We are looking for a motivated and reliable individual to join our team.
This is a paid internship, which is anticipated to last one year (12 months). This position is a part-time (approximately 28 hours per week) hourly, nonexempt position. The candidate must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from (within the last 12 months), an undergraduate- or graduate-degree program.
The Intern will learn and be exposed to:
- Rare and unique Church history collections
- Library operations within a business setting
The Intern will be responsible to fulfill the following tasks:
- Appraise and acquire records relating to Church history
- Support and train the missionaries who receive donated historical records
- Oversee and participate in accessioning annual historical reports
Intern will work under the direction of a senior staff member and will receive training and/or day-to-day direction from team members.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Current pursuit or completion of Bachelor’s Degree in history or related field; master’s degree in history or related field preferred
- Experience conducting research, searching library and archives catalogs, and/or working in an archive
- Interest in and basic knowledge of LDS Church history
- Experience teaching and/or training (in any setting) preferred
- Good communication skills and ability to thrive in a team environment
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and effectively prioritize tasks
- Respect for confidentiality
- Experience with Microsoft Office products
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.