Job Category: Academic
Job Title: Student Writer
Hourly Wage: $10 per hour
Hours per week: 20 hours/week in fall–winter, up to 40 hours/week in spring/summer
Start Date: ASAP
Supervisor: Erin Jackson, Manager
Seeking a degree in English, communications, humanities, or related field. Editing experience preferred.
Part-time student writer for the College of Humanities. Aid the communications manager in writing, editing, and promoting the College of Humanities news and events.
- Write news articles for the college website and magazine
- Attend and report on college-sponsored events
- Analyze and craft tailored messages based on audience and context
- Interview college faculty, students, and alumni
- Verify accuracy of facts, dates, and statistics
- Work with supervisor on editing and preparing articles for publication
- Upload articles and images onto the college website
- Assist with other promotional items and college events as needed
- Superior writing, editing, and communicating skills; aptitude for learning new things; and self-directed
- Ability to manage projects with very little help; must be responsible and resourceful, take ownership of work, and possess problem-solving skills
- Must be self-motivated, punctual, and deadline-driven
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Must be dependable, follow through on projects to completion, and also remain flexible during the process
- Must possess maturity and the ability to work with directors and department heads
- College experience in writing, public relations, journalism, or a related field is preferred.
- Experience in WordPress a plus
Email the following items to email@example.com.
- a résumé
- cover letter
- three writing samples (at least one of the samples should be written in a journalistic style, at least one of the samples should demonstrate creativity)
- class schedule for Fall 2017 & hours you are available to work
Must have regular and consistent attendance at scheduled shift.