Assist the Online Tools and Training Division of the Church History Department in indexing articles in Church Magazines as well as other periodicals containing articles with Mormon content, plus assisting with reference questions from Library patrons and other duties as assigned. This is an exciting and unique opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in libraries, archives, history research or other related fields. We are looking for a motivated, energetic, and production oriented individual to join our team!
This is a paid internship, which is anticipated to last one year (12 months). This position is a part-time (approximately 28 hours per week) hourly, nonexempt position. The candidate must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from (within the last 12 months), an undergraduate- or graduate-degree program for history, library science, family history, archival studies, English, or other information or research related field or within one year of graduation.
Intern will learn and be exposed to:
– Assist with subject indexing articles in Church magazines as well as other periodicals containing articles with Mormon content.
– May also assist with reference questions from Library patrons.
Intern will work under the direction of and will receive training and/or day-to-day direction from senior-level Church History Specialists.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
– Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program for history, library science, family history, archival studies, English, or other information or research related field or within one year of graduation.
– Ability to follow directions, work well under time pressures, and work cooperatively in team settings and other collaborative situations.
– Strong work ethic and highly motivated; self-starter with the ability to work independently.
– Strong oral and written communication skills.
– Good research skills.
– Familiarity with PC computers; good understanding of basic computer software: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, databases; ability to understand or to quickly learn to use several types of databases or software programs.
– High level of typing accuracy and attention to detail.
– Strong analytical skills and ability to perceive, anticipate, analyze, and solve problems in a positive, creative, and proactive manner.
– Teachable and desirous to learn.
– Upbeat and positive.
– Good planning, organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and carry critical projects to completion.
– Interest in pursuing a career in a library or archives setting.
– Familiarity with MARC records and cataloging standards.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.