Posting Dates: 06/22/2017 – 07/07/2017
Job Family: Human Resources
Department: Church History Department
Assist the Library Division of the Church History Department in assisting with database maintenance. This is an exciting and unique opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in history or library science. We are looking for a motivated and dependable individual to join our team!
This is a paid internship, which is anticipated to last one year (12 months). This position is a part-time (approximately 28 hours per week) hourly, nonexempt position. The candidate must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from (within the last 12 months), an undergraduate or graduate degree program.
Intern will learn and be exposed to:
- Library operations and management
- Reference desk duties and patron support
- Research tools and techniques
The Research Intern will be responsible to fulfill the following tasks:
- Assist with database maintenance for the Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel website (mormontrail.lds.org)
- Provide other research support, as needed
Intern will work under the direction of reference staff and will receive training and/or day-to-day direction from senior-level Church History Specialists.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Current pursuit of, or completion of, Bachelor’s degree in history, library science, family history, archival studies, English, or other information- or research-related field
- Current pursuit of Master’s degree in above-named fields preferred
- Experience in basic family history research and resources
- Knowledge of Mormon pioneer emigration period (1847-1868) strongly preferred
- Strong organizational, time management, and written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions efficiently
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Ability to work in a team, as well as independently
- Strong ability to perceive, analyze, and solve problems in a positive and proactive manner
- Strong research skills and ability to understand (or quickly learn to use) several types of databases or software programs
- High level of typing accuracy and attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Available to work 28 hours per week, during regular working hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.