SALARY: STIPEND, NO BENEFITS
Example of Duties:
- Work full-time during the 2019 General Legislative Session, under the direction of the House Minority Leader and staff, to coordinate and maximize print and social media exposure. The position may require some weekend work.
- Work closely with caucus members, members of the media, advocates, lobbyists and stakeholders involved with the legislative process, under direction of the Minority Staff Director.
- Work under the direction of House Minority Leadership and staff to develop issues strategy, media plan, and messaging.
- Assist Communications Specialist in writing and creating social media posts using Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Assist Communications Specialist in preparing, writing, and editing weekly caucus newsletters.
- Assist Communications Specialist in researching, writing, and editing op-ed pieces for legislators.
- Attend hearings and committee meetings during the legislative session and help the caucus to track important issues.
- Work with Communications Specialist to organize press briefings and press contacts.
- Work with Communications Specialist and caucus members to develop and coordinate communications on their specific issues.
- Assist Communications Specialist in maintaining and updating the House Minority web site and blog, and social media.
- Build rapport with members of the media, and organize media needs and provide public relations services, as needed.
- Write or draft correspondence, reports, documents and other written materials.
- Assist with research on various topics; assist with analyzing and summarizing results.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the latest trends and best practices for media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform via written, oral, and visual media.
- Ability to work with advocates and defend Democratic Caucus priorities with the news and other public media to include determining media strategy, writing press releases, and presenting information to wire services and reporters.
- Experience with gathering and managing information or data in a clear and concise manner.
- Utilizes proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Can operate a computer, copier, and other office equipment.
- Strong computer skills including ability to use Microsoft Office Suite.
- Maintains strict confidentiality; work with multiple Representatives and maintain the trust and confidence of each.
- Deals with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism. Follows principles, practices, and procedures of an office environment.
- Experience in journalism, public relations, political science, or related field preferred.
Supplemental Information: IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME, A COVER LETTER, AND 3 REFERENCES BY EMAIL TO email@example.com.
SALARY: Stipend, no benefits
Position is open until filled.