Part-time student writer and public relations assistant for the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences. Assist the college’s outreach coordinator in writing blog posts, magazine articles and social media content, copyediting, and general outreach and public relations. The successful candidate will be innovative, self-motivated, experimental, professional, and creative.
The student writer will work on the publication of the Connections alumni magazine, a widely distributed annual publication, available in hard copy and electronic formats. This position will have hands-on experience in research, interviewing, writing, and editing. The student will also help maintain the college’s news website and social media platforms, and assist with other promotional items and college events as needed.
Position also includes assisting at department events, tracking and editing internship reports and miscellaneous office projects. Professionalism in dress and attitude are expected in order to maintain the integrity of the dean’s office.
(Be prepared to provide evidence of these skills through a portfolio or writing samples):
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Experience writing blog posts/articles and posting to social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram and twitter)
• Self-directed, ability to meet deadlines, organized
• Works well in small teams
• Strong attention to detail
• Prior office experience
• Communications experience (journalism, English and/or public relations majors preferred)
• Editing experience (editing classes/minor a plus)
Juniors and seniors are preferred, though all applicants with the appropriate skill set will be considered.
Preferred start date: Fall 2018. Applicants should expect to commit a minimum of one year to this position, including spring/summer terms.
Posting will remain open until filled. BYU is an equal opportunity employer.