Salt Lake City
Posting Dates: 01/04/2018 – 01/19/2018
Job Family: Human Resources
Department: Church History Department
The primary work of the internship is to assist the Library Division of the Church History Department in cataloging oral history interviews and other archival records. This is an exciting and unique opportunity for someone interested in pursuing a career in archives. We are looking for a motivated, energetic, and detail-oriented individual to join our team!
This is a paid internship, which is anticipated to last one year (12 months). This position is a full-time (40 hours per week) hourly, nonexempt position. The candidate must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from (within the last 12 months), an undergraduate- or graduate-degree program.
Intern will learn and be exposed to:
- Cataloging in MARC21 using Aleph library software
- Authority control
- Archive and manuscript processing
Intern will be responsible to fulfill the following duties:
- Create catalog records using internal systems (MARC21 and Aleph) for oral history interviews
- Edit oral history interview transcripts
- Assist in preparing oral histories for digital preservation
- Review cataloging work of others
Intern will work under the direction of the oral history cataloging coordinator.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Current pursuit of, or completion of, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in History, Library Science, Archival Administration, English, or other language degree, or related field
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Highly detail-oriented with excellent writing and editing skills
- Good communication skills and ability to thrive in a team environment
- Respect for confidentiality
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
Preference will be given to candidates who also possess these additional qualities:
- Understanding of archival arrangement and description principles
- Experience conducting research and/or working in an archives, including arranging and describing archival collections
- Knowledge of the historiography and sources of LDS Church History
Available to work 40 hours per week, during regular working hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.