|The DDM Story Lab is a hub for innovation and creativity that serves our brands and a number of media partners. It is fueled by a global network of community writers who, through us, share amazing stories with our audiences around the world. We manage these remote contributors and their work through the Deseret Connect contributor management platform. We’re looking for a passionate, talented writer who brings out the best in others “whether they’re at the next desk over or on the other side of the world.
Enough about us. Let’s talk about you!
- To qualify, you’ll need to be the kind of person who believes the world needs awesome stories to stand out from the mix of depressing, degrading or mindless content that often fills news sites and Facebook feeds. You’re driven to use media to help improve lives.
- You’ll learn our content management system and assist others in using it. You’ll be a champion of our writers.
- You’ll also be able to write your own pieces and will have the opportunity to be published on our various websites (KSL.com, DeseretNews.com, FamilyShare.com) as well as partner media organizations around the world.
- You’ll be an avid media consumer who’s interested in understanding what makes great stories great and will then guide others in the creation of those great stories.
- You hate the word content and cringed each of the three times we’ve used it already in this job description because it doesn’t capture the tremendous effort, skill and creativity that goes into creating it. But you recognize that amazing stories are much more than articles. You feel strongly that video and images (including memes and gifs) are key to growing and engaging audiences.
- You will possess the unique blend of being a fun & creative people person and a data geek.
- You’ll need to be versatile enough to focus on many different writers, strategists, content types and publishers both internal and external.
- And last but not least, you’ll be a great sport, but will never beat the hiring manager in our highly competitive games of Boggle : )
This is a multi-faceted opportunity, not a fetch-me-a-diet-coke kind of internship. Our team is cross-trained to perform a variety of key creative tasks that include ideation, creation, distribution and analysis. We’re looking for someone to help in all areas.
Here are some you’ve-got-to-have-it qualifications:
- You thrive in a noisy, collaborative, interactive environment. We want someone to be a contributing part of the team
- You’re eager to understand the audience needs of our various websites, especially the FamilyShare Media Network.
- The AP Stylebook is pretty much your favorite book
- Air traffic controllers are jealous of your communication skills
- Your work ethic makes dairy farmers look lazy
- Your passion for news, features and current events makes Anderson Cooper look uninformed. We want someone who’s able to identify social trends.
- You’re comfortable mastering a new technology platform quickly
- Your creativity is as deep and limitless as the Wonderland rabbit hole of Katy Perry’s crazy hairstylist
- You’ve completed or are working toward a BA/BS degree (communications, writing or related) or equivalent experience
And for bonus points:
- While solid writing skills and editorial judgment is absolutely essential for this position, experience with and an eye for graphic design or visual storytelling will set you above other candidates.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is a huge plus!
Successful candidates embrace DDM’s mission statement , by which we’re incredibly driven.
Punchin’ the clock … Most work is done Monday-Friday, 9-5, but sometimes weekend and evening work is necessary … media never sleeps. The internship runs for either four or six months and is either part- or full-time, depending on a candidate’s circumstances.
Pay: $10 an hour
A winning team
Deseret Digital Media is the online division of Deseret Media Companies that manages the digital assets of KSL.com, DeseretNews.com, FamilyShare.com and its sister sites, among others. The sites collectively reach over 20M unique users and generate over 400M page views with 900M ad impressions each month. The mission of Deseret Digital Media is, “To be trusted voices of light and truth reaching hundreds of millions of people worldwide.”
This internship reports to the Story Lab director while working closely with the Story Lab manager and other team members.