Assist the Library Division of the Church History Department in working with archivists and volunteers to review and prepare historical records for online publication. This is an exciting and unique opportunity for an advanced degree student or recent college graduate with career goals in the field of history and/or archival studies.
This is a paid internship, which is anticipated to last four months. This position is a part-time (approximately 28 hours per week) hourly, nonexempt position. The candidate must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from (within the last 12 months), an undergraduate- or graduate-degree program.
Responsibilities The Intern will fulfull the following duties:
- Review, and assist volunteers (missionaries) in the review, of manuscript collections for sacred, private, and confidential information in preparation for online publication.
- Prepare review assignments for, and audit the work of volunteers
- Directed readings in Church history and professional literature related to archives and manuscripts.
- Learn and apply department record access policies
- Assist in preparing archival records for public online access
- Mentor and train volunteers in various tasks
Intern will work under the direction of the digital collections curator and will receive training and/or day-to-day direction from the online review team lead.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in history or allied field, and Master’s degree in history, archival administration, or library science (earned or in process)
- Knowledge of the historiography and sources of LDS Church History
- Respect for confidentiality
- Experience conducting research and/or working in an archives
- Basic understanding of archival theory and practices
- Experience teaching and/or training (in any setting)
- Strong organizational, time management, and written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, particularly Word and Excel
Available to work 28 hours per week, during regular working hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Please Note: All positions are subject to close without notice.
Find out more about the many benefits of Church Employment at http://careers.lds.org.
See posting here